Christmas brings a lot of joy and enthusiasm for celebrations with our friends and family. But as soon as this party season ends, we are left with an unorganized home and the messiest carpet ever.
And, understandably, this after-party clean-up of the carpet may seem daunting to most householders. But the sooner you clean, the lesser the required effort. And so we are here to discuss the best way to clean your carpet after a Christmas party.
Best Way To Clean Your Carpet After A Christmas Party
⇒ Start with a round-up.
The foremost thing to start with the carpet cleaning is decluttering it for further clean-up. Pick up all the mess spread and lingering on your carpet, ditching all those gift wraps, decoration scraps, leftovers, empty bottles, and whatnot. This may seem obvious, but it’s the first thing you do. The next step would be to remove various stains before laundering the carpet.
⇒ Food Spillages
Any Christmas party is incomplete without the special Christmas cake, puddings, cranberry sauce, and pies. But here is what to do when your carpet also enjoys them.
- Remove any solids of food from the carpet first. If the spills on the carpet are small, they can be easily wiped with tissues/wipes & washed with a dishwashing solution.
- For a strong spillage like that of cranberry sauce or chocolate, take a cloth dipped in a mixture of 1 tbsp of white vinegar & ⅔ cups of rubbing alcohol. Dab the stain (not rub it) with the cloth until it goes away.
- You can also use a suitable cleaning solution as an alternative.
⇒ Oil stains
Oily food like cupcake frostings or olive oil salad can give you greasy stains on your carpet. Check this out.
- Oily stains have the solution of baking soda. Spread a generous amount and rub it over the oil stain with a tissue. Leave it for a while. When it absorbs all the oil, use a vacuum cleaner to clean it up. Wash it with a detergent later.
- You can also mix Cornstarch with baking soda for tough stains.
⇒ Drink spills
Wine at a Christmas party is a must-have, and so are its stains. Follow the steps to clean such drink spills.
- First, blot the spill using a cloth or wipe.
- Next, dab the stain with a wet towel having a mixture of 1 cup of vinegar & 2 cups of water, and leave it there for a while. Placing a heated iron on that wet towel will help remove the stain properly.
- Alternatively, spreading a baking soda paste and leaving it for a while will break the red wine stain from the carpet.
- For stricter actions, you can mix 1 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of ammonia to apply on the stained area.
- Especially for the tea/coffee stains, rubbing a few drops of beer until the stain goes off works best.
⇒ Sticky substances
Whether it is the Christmas tree’s resin, its sticky sap, or candle wax, you can remove it all with these.
- Place some ice cubes over the wax, gum, or tree resin to freeze them, and remove them using a blunt knife or a spoon.
- Use a liquid detergent or mineral oil to clean the Christmas tree sap stuck on your carpet.
- Later you can either vacuum the carpet if needed or use a liquid detergent to wash it off.
- Always use a hose attachment in the vacuum to ensure proper cleaning.
Although the stains are off your carpet, everything on the carpet gets messy and leaves an odor after the party. The below tips can help.
- Baking soda has the amazing quality of absorbing odor. Spread it evenly on the carpet and keep it for a few hours or overnight. Then vacuum the carpet later.
- To remove an intense smell, you can use borax mixed with 15-20 drops of essential oil instead of baking soda.
- Another option for odor removal is spraying a solution containing baking soda, vinegar, and water. Let it air-dry, and then vacuum it.
These are some best ways to clean your carpet after a Christmas party. Hopefully, this will help you bring your carpet back to the spick-and-span state.
If this Christmas was way too harsh on your carpet, which you are unable to handle, then consider hiring a professional carpet cleaner near you for dealing with tough stains and for effective cleaning.